Now is the beginning of the busiest time of the year for many of us. School is back in full swing, meetings are more abundant than the fall leaves, and the holiday season is just around the corner. The nights are crisp and cozy and when you get home after your busy day nothing sounds better than a nice hot, savory, and healthy dinner on the table. Many of us reach for tried and true recipes and this often includes chicken because it is an easy and reliable go-to for supper.
However, if your chicken dish regiment is as worn in as that hand-me-down couch in the basement, it is time to venture into new chicken territory. We have six amazing recipes from six innovative blogger/cooks with creative and wise pallets. The next time you and the family come home from a long day with growling stomachs, try one of these recipes (many can be prepped ahead of time) and let a new chicken dinner dish warm you up to the cool, busy days of fall.
1. Smokin Chicken Soup: This isnt your grandmothers chicken soup (not that there is anything wrong with her soup, I am sure it was delicious as well). This recipe for Smokin Chicken Soup adds a little kick to the old standby with smoked chipotle powder.
Still not sure about deviating from routine? Consider this: Chipotle peppers have many health benefits including high capsaicin levels (meaning they are full of antioxidants), a variety of vitamins A, C, iron, niacin, magnesium, thiamin, and riboflavin, as well as touting claims to reduce cholesterol, clear sinuses, and regulate insulin levels -as if traditional C.N.S. wasnt already moms most prescribed remedy to illness! So go ahead and sip to your health this cold and flu season with this simple, tasty recipe!
2. Lemon, Chicken, and Leek Pot Pies: Who doesnt relish a golden-crusted, creamy, chicken pot pie when cooler weather hits? I will unabashedly admit it, chicken pot pie is a serious weakness of mine and I am sure I am not alone in my temptation to put it on the menu at least once a week (not to worry, I refrain to about once a month for the sake of our waistlines).
Once again we have come across a recipe that takes the usual ingredients and revs things up a notch (or two lets face it, leeks in cream are another weakness of mine). This recipe for lemon, chicken and leek pot pies adds the bright flavor of lemon accompanied with delicate, onion-like leeks, and then marries it all together with tender chicken, cream, and puff pastry. Is your mouth watering yet?
3. Saffron Scented Chicken Pilaf: Busy nights should not mean a skimp on flavorful, healthy food. This recipe for Saffron Scented Chicken Pilaf is the perfect way to entertain your pallet and satisfy your hunger not to mention free up some dish-duty time because all this healthy goodness takes place in one pot.
In addition to being delicious, this dish gets an A+ grade in terms of health. Not only is this recipe low fat and full of protein, the saffron adds antioxidants, minerals, and vitamin C. You will not regret adding this dish to your dinner regiment!
4. Chicken Oscar- Hollandaise Sauce: If you are interested in adding a simple, versatile, and delicious sauce to your meals, Hollandaise sauce is a wise choice. Often used on Eggs Benedict, and asparagus, as well as over biscuits, and other meats, this creamy sauce will win you over in this recipe. Chicken Oscar is an easy dish that will satisfy your hungry family on a cool fall evening. This delicious recipe is sure to make it into the family favorites category.
5. Vimto Chicken: Take your chicken to a new level and try this unique Vimto Chicken recipe! This clever blogger came up with the flavorful dish on a whim and created exotic flavor combinations such as ginger, chili, lime, anise, cinnamon, and Vimto. Lentils add hearty notes while the chicken soaks up the spices and juices perfectly. Give this recipe a try if you are looking for an exciting diversion from the usual chicken casserole.
6. Smoked Citrus Spiced Chicken: Here is a Smoked Citrus Spiced Chicken recipe for those looking into alternatives to basic roasting in the oven. You can also adapt this recipe to a grill if you dont have a smoker. This recipe creates a nice smoky flavor, crisp skin, tender meat, and a refreshing hint of lemon pepper and orange peel. You are sure to enjoy this innovative take on roast chicken.
Hello everyone! My name is Stephani Teran and I am food enthusiast to say the least. Food and I go together like a poached egg on whole grain toast with goat cheese, drizzled honey, and peppercorns see what I mean? It is family tradition, many generations back, to revere cooking and baking as an honorable art from and more of a privilege than a chore. I am more heart than expertise in the culinary arts, but boy do I have fun attempting foodie status. I hope I can help you ditch that silly rule about not playing with your food I say the more play, the better!
Leave a Reply