Preschool and Kindergarten readiness has never been more easy than using magnetic letters to help with letter and word recognition. It’s a great educational craft or tool for children and fun for them, too. Use this free printable 25 Ways to Use Magnetic Letters at Home guide to help your children learn with magnetic letters. Some of the fun activities include making food words, alphabet train, rhyming pairs, letter in the circle, magazine match and more!
The Tip Junkie Creative Community has Kindergarten Crafts and Kindergarten activities with pictured tutorials and free patterns if youre looking for more simple crafts for kids with educational activities.
Simply print out the free printable and have your child start playing their way into learning!
Print Free Files Here: Download
25 Ways To Use Magnetic Letters At Home
1. LETTER PLAY Encourage children to play with the magnetic letters on the refrigerator or on a table. Playing with magnetic letters allows children to learn more about how they look as they manipulate them in different ways.
2. MAKING NAMES A childs name is the most important word to them. Have children make their name several times. Mix up the letters and check them with their name written on a card.
3. MAKING WORDS Make a simple word like mom or dad or sun and have your child make the same word by matching each letter below the model (cat c-a-t).
4. ALPHABET TRAIN Have your child put the lowercase magnetic letters in alphabetical order. Then they can point to them and sing the alphabet song. Have them repeat the process with uppercase alphabet letters.
5. CONSONANT/VOWEL SORT Have child sort the consonant letters and the vowel letters.
6. FEATURE SORT Have child sort letters in a variety of ways For example, letters with long sticks and letters with short sticks, letters with circles and letters with no circles, letters with tunnels and letters with dots, letters with slanted sticks and letters with straight sticks.
7. LETTER MATCH Invite child to find other letters that look exactly the same as a letter in their name (e.g., place an m on the refrigerator and have the child find all the ones that look like it). They dont need to know the letter name.
8. NAME GAME Have child make names of friends or family. Have them make the name, mix the letters, and make the names several times.
9. COLOR SORT Have child sort all the red, blue, green, yellow and orange letters.
10. UPPERCASE/LOWERCASE MATCH Have child match the uppercase letters with the lowercase form.
11. MAKING FOOD WORDS Make some words that identify food like, meat, egg, or rice. Have child draw pictures of each. Then, mix the letters, and make the words again.
12. MAKING COLOR WORDS Give children a list of color words with an item made in that color as a picture support (for example, a red ball). Have children make the color word with magnetic letters using the model, mix the letters, and make it again several times.
13. MAKING NUMBER WORDS Give child a list of numerals with the number word next to each. Then have child make the word and mix the letters two or three times.
14. WRITING LETTERS Have child select ten different letters and write each letter on paper. They can use the magnetic letter as a model.
15. WRITING WORDS Have child make five simple words (such as cat, sun, big, sit, mom, like) and then write them on a sheet of paper.
16. FIND THE LETTER Make a set of alphabet letters, (either upper-or lowercase), on a set of index cards. Shuffle the deck and take turns drawing a card and finding the magnetic letter that corresponds to it.
17. LETTER BINGO Make two cards with a grid of three boxes across and three down. Trace one lowercase letter in each box. Put a pile of magnetic letters that are representing the letters on the cards and some that are not in a plastic bowl. Play a Letter Bingo game. Take turns taking a letter, saying its name, and then placing the letter in the box if there is a match. If there is not match, put the letter back in the bowl. The first to fill three boxes across, down, or diagonally says, Bingo and wins the game. You can then play the same game with uppercase letters.
18. RHYMING PAIRS (This game requires/works best with a magnetic cookie sheet). Make a simple three- letter word such as log, man, cat, bug. Say the word and then say a second word that rhymes (log-dog, man-fan, , cat-fat, bug-mug). Ask the child to make the rhyming word below each.
19. LETTER IN THE CIRCLE Draw two circles and place an a in one and an s in the other. Have children put letters in the a circle and say how they are like the a. Do the same with the s. This activity will help children learn to look at features of letters. Vary the letters in the circles; accept their explanations about what they are noticing.
20. CHANGE THE WORD Build several simple words and show the children how to change, add, or take away a letter to make a new word. Examples are: me, he, we; me, my, at, hat, & sat. After the demonstration put the needed letters in a special place in an empty container for them to practice.
21. ALPHABET SEQUENCE Place the letter a on the table and have your child find the next letter (b) and place the letter c next to the b and have the child look for the next letter (d). Continue through the alphabet with lowercase letters. Repeat with the uppercase letters.
22. LETTER SORT Place a pile of magnetic letters on the table for the child to spread out. Have child put all letters that are the same together in a pile. Then if appropriate, have child give the letter name for each pile.
23. LETTER CHAINS Make a five-letter chain (for example, sedrw). Have child find the same letters and make the same chain below your model. Then have the child make a chain that you copy.
24. LETTER NAMES Specify a color and have child take one colored letter at a time and say the letter name.
25. MAGAZINE MATCH Look through a magazine or newspaper with child, cutting out some larger print simple words (such as man, box, girl). Glue them on a sheet of paper with plenty of space below each. Have child make each word below the printed one.
Print Free Files Here: Download