These home made pirate costumes are made with boxes, tubes, paint, plastic jewelry, and coins. I sewed on read dred locks onto the bandanna my son is wearing to make it look super authentic.
How to Make the DIY Pirate Ship:
- The ship is shaped from a large box.
- The poles are from large cardboard tubes.
- The flags are place mats from the Dollar Store.
- The sword is also made from cardboard.
- Detailed with spray paint.
How to Make the Treasure Chest Costume:
Here is my 3 year old as a treasure chest that my husband made with all form boxes and paint. I decorated it by hot gluing on jewelry and plastic coins and we also glued sand and sea shells on the bottom.
- The treasure chest is also shaped from cardboard boxes.
- The bottom has real sand and shells attached with hot glue.
- The plastic coins and jewelry are also attached with hot glue.
- Details on the treasure chest created with spray paints.
You can check it out the Pirate Ship & Treasure Chest Costumes as well as my other homemade Halloween costumes over on my blog.
Jeanine Sandy says
This is amazing!!! I was trying to find the link to the diy page? Is that still around? I’m looking to make myself either a pirate ship or treasure chest for a party!! Would love to see the thoughts about how to do it!!
Laurie Turk says
YES these are incredible and so glad Jill uploaded them to Tip Junkie. Here’s the direct link to her blog post ~ https://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.com/costume-fun. I searched and searched her blog but there doesn’t seem to be a step by step tutorial but brief description. I hope this helps!